Thursday, October 18, 2007

"Coming of Age" really drew me in

I really enjoyed reading Coming of Age in Mississippi.I found myself not being able to take my eyes from the page. The author, Anne Moody, does an incedible job of drawing the reader in. Though her story is not one that I can directly relate to, she writes in a way that you can feel her emotions right along with her.
Out of the four stories that we have read in the past two weeks, I was most impressed with Eva Hoffman's Lost in Translation. She was the best writer of the four woman and I found her story to be one of self accomplishment which I really iked to read. However, I was most interested in the Moody selection. She was such a string young girl who really stood up for what she believed in and I found myself reading her story with admiration. Her writing seemed almost like a diary at times. I like that in an autobiography. She really described the way she was feeling and how events changed her. My favorite quote from the whole selection was after the Taplin's house burned down she described how the following night in Centreville was. "It was so quietand still. The quietness almost drove me crazy. It was too quiet for sleeping that night, yet it was too restless for dreams and too dry for weeping." I love the irony in this quote and in this moment in the selection I realized just how affected she was by the racism and I think this is interesting to look back on as she becomes a part of the movement.
I have found all of the women authors that we have read interesting and honorable. I though that Moodys story was the best and I really wanted to keep reading at the end of the selection. I hope to read more stories of women as strong as these four!

1 comment:

caroline said...

It seems like you were struck by the sophisticated writing style of Hoffman. However, it also seemed that you were captivated by the story of Moody. You might want to think about the writing style of two selections, comparing and contrasting them. You could also, however, explore, as we discussed in class, how each style worked to further the theme (and was appropriate for the topic). Just something to think about.