Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hello to whomever is reading this entry,

For writing assignment 3, the research journal, I have decided to write and research on the singer and artist Norah Jones. I have always been a big fan of her music and find her songs and lyrics facinating. However, I really don't know the background of her life or where her motivation and inpiration come from when writing her music. I have heard that she may have had a troubled home life and a rocky relationship with her father, who was also a musician. I think it would be reallu interesting to research and learn the background of her life in order to see if it is at all reflected in her music. Also she is a celebrity who has really managed to stay of the radar, or out of the public eye. This can be very hard in our society for the A- Litsers today. I find it cool that she has kept such a low profile even though she has stayed and become so incredibly successful. Well, I would love any and all feedback on my topic. I have a long was to go but I know that my topic is neither too broad or too narrow due to the small amount of looking around I have already done. Thanks for your opinion and good luck with your research paper as well!

-Joelle

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I like that you are writing about something that you are interested in, it will make writing about it that much easier. You have many different topics on Norah Jones written here. It might be easier to pick just one lens, either how her past has effected her music, or how she deals with her success and life in the public eye.
Here is a biography i found through academic search premier about Music in Norah's childhood and her current achievements.

Jones, Norah. By: D'Angelo, Kathleen A.. Current Biography, May2003, Vol. 64 Issue 5, p45, 5p; (AN 9800798)

I hope this helps! good luck on your research project!!

Tory said...

Hi! I just want to first say I am so sorry this is late. But here are the notes from class:

- How Norah Jones public life reflects in her lyrics, not the absence of media
- Her lyrics don't deal with what is going on in her life, she writes about feelings, not events
- Just had a part in a movie - maybe talk about why she did it if she wants to be so private?
- Define celebrity - narrow to female singers, not just celebrity for your research question
- Why did Norah Jones make a CD and choose a music career if she didn't want to be famous (kind of the idea that the media comes with the territory of being successful)
- How an absence of personal life in work speaks a lot about someone's life

Hope this helps! I'm sorry again it's so late - maybe it will be helpful when handing in the final draft? Good luck with the paper!!